I know you!

Sunday 17 February 2008

Moonwalker

Now, I'm not an avid MJ fan or protagonist. I've got, quite frankly, next to no opinion on him, apart from pity. I pity the fact that he adored this one woman enough to have surgery to look like her, even though he denies it, I pity what has happened to him, and I pity the way public opinion has effected him, but I do not hate him, I do not think he actually molested any child, and neither do I really think he was....as great as the records say. I find the songs written by him, for him, as later years, were annoying, fake sounding. Too high to be real. Falsetto always jarrs my teeth.

Some of the other songs he's sung however, those where his voice is in the lower octaves rather than so high, -those- I prefer, because to me, they don't sound...put apon if you know what I mean? Stretching his voice -too- high simply because its what people expect of his voice, you know?

Anyways, what brought this about was a movie by MJ, (Michael Jackson for anyone a little clueless) called Moonwalker. It's an old movie, made back before the media circus started up, back when he was loved by everyone. There's an adventure tale in the middle of it, between concerts and other musical things, that he wrote. It is very very good, considering the age of it, and that he wasn't a professional... but in it, one thing struck out at me. He loved children. Not in the perverted sense, but in the way a big brother would love a younger sibling. There is no 'love interest' that the bad guy kidnaps to get MJ to walk into a trap, but rather a small girl, about 8 or so. The other main characters, on the good side, are two boys. Children.

You can see it, in the way the script is written, the screen play, the acting.... it was genuine. He adored children, loved them as friends, younger siblings. Doted on them. That, I think, more than anything else, proves in my mind that the furor that brought about the bad rep for MJ was just a scam. He loved childred, adored them, not lusted after them.

In the contrast of selves, from how he is in the movie, smiling, cheerful, bubbly almost, to how he is now, withdrawn, silent, avoiding contact with people...it makes me sad, to think that on the word of -one- mother, saying what supposedly happened to her son taken as solid gold -without- medical tests to prove anything (lets forget for now that MJ is castrated to keep his voice high), the world, generally as a whole, turned its back on one of the greastest musical geniuses of the age. Look at his video clips, we have hiphop, RnB, almost break dancing before there were even words for the motions, the concepts weren't even considered....it was just what MJ did, like the moonwalk.

And how his legs were made of elastic rubber and totally not attached to his hips.

It disheartens me, at how cynical the world has become...how cruel.

How very pointless everything you do, or have done, is, when one wrong word, one foul rumour, could ruin your entire life in the blinking of an eye.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It has been said that trust is the hardest thing in the world to gain, and the easiest thing in the world to lose.