I know you!

Tuesday 17 July 2007

Spanish!

Or more accurately, mexican. I'm learning/teaching myself it. It's fun, yet I fail, miserably, in trying to construct sentences. And considering that my 'teacher' learnt both english and spanish at the same time, so was never formally taught as such, has made things a bit hard you know?

So anyways, I can say... hola, me llamo Ange, cual es tu nombre?

hello, my name is ange, and your name is? (I think, it was sort of just rattled out by him)

And... me menara de hablar espanol por las mananas es una broma

My way of speaking spanish in the mornings is a joke.

Now, they have male/female and neuter words, sentences rather. And the sentence has to 'agree'. So you can't have me menara de hablo because menara is female and hablo is neuter/male and you can't do that. Summary: words ending with a are female, words ending with e or o are male. So, if the word ends with an a then the alterable verbs and conjugated words (it is a SPASTIC language) have to change to agree with that one word so that it becomes a female sentence.

You still with me?

For example you can't have la rinoceronte(i think that's how you spell it), because 'la' is for female and rinoceronte is a MALE word, so it would have to be el rinoceronte. It doesn't matter if the rhino is male or female, its because it ends with an 'e' or 'o' that makes it male. Giraffe in english would be male, but girafa is female. Ergo, la girafa macho. The male giraffe.

Fun no? And I'm trying to get my head around this BEFORE school starts again.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It's good that you're spreading your cultural knowledge and doing something extracurricular, but make sure your grades don't suffer as a result. One term to go!

PS: Spanish is an awesome language. The accent is, undoubtedly, the sexiest in the world.