I know you!

Monday 23 July 2007

What the...?

Okay, here's the run down of my confusion. I thought that today I had school. I was under the assumption that I did, so last night I go to bed early (9.30pm or so) set my alarm for 6.30am, when it is still dark I'll have you know, got up, had a shower etc, got ready for school...

Only to find, first off that the bus wasn't coming. Second that there was no school. -_-

So, I spend all of yesterday, or the greater majority of it, trying to type up an essay that ends up being around the 1500 word mark rather than 1800, stressing that I wouldn't get it done in time, I go to bed EARLY, get up EARLY all for what? To be told that I didn't have to get up to my alarm that's what!

Gah. Y'know, if it weren't for the fact that I got the day of school, I would be ROYALLY annoyed.

Change of subject-- The meaning of life.

Don't ask me how they link, they just do.

Last night I spoke to Xin, and since he seems to forget to believe me when I say that if you ask me a question, I'll give you an answer. Obviously meaning philosophical ones and the like, not maths or chemistry or whatever. Ugh. So, what does he ask me? For the third time so far? 'What is the meaning of Life?'

Of course I answered! It's a rather good answer actually, but I'm writing this post so that he can't ask me, again, thinking that he's found something I can't reply to. Honestly, that question get's boring after a while. Don't look at me like that, I -will- give you my answer, patience is a virtue you know.

And it does! I mean, after you get asked the same thing five times you get a bit over repeating yourself you know? Hence my blog, so I don't have to repeat myself umpteen amout of times.

Now, the meaning of life! Some people say that it's love, others that it's procreation, you know, the whole 'continuation of the species'. It's 'making a name for yourself', 'leaving your mark on the world', 'living the life you dreamed of'. Hmm, well to me, none of these are good reasons for 'living', and I should know. Is it the same for you? Do they just seem like justificiactions? Let's pull religion into it shall we? Christians believe that the meaning of life is to do good and get into heaven, to sit at the right hand of Jesus or whatever. Hindu's I believe, are of the opinion that the karma you build in this life will directly influence the form you take in the next-- again, be good or else. Bhuddists; to reach the stage of pure enlightenment and become a bhudda. Which generally involves being a nice loving, wonderful person. Hmm...are you seeing a theme here?

To my point of view, none of these reasons actually give -life- meaning, simply provides the consequences after you die. Either that or the 'meaning' is so worthless that it is virtually pointless. So. My answer to 'what is the meaning of life?'

Life has no more meaning than that which you give it, what you do with it is your own life's meaning. Therefore, choose your priorities carefully, wisely, and ensure that you can live with the choices you have made, be them between two 'evils' or the road you walk, no matter the path.

Summary: You give your life it's own meaning, no matter what that meaning is and no one else can tell you what -your- life's meaning is.

Think on it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Just off the bat here, I want you to know I'm not trying to stump you. Otherwise I'd ask questions like "What is consciousness?" or "What animates our cells, ie. what is the life force?" or perhaps "Why is nature so keen on surviving?"

Some questions may not have answers- this I have unfortunately come to terms with. The purpose of our existence has been pondered for millenia, and I daresay teenagers such as ourselves can fully comprehend it. At this stage of our psychological development, we might find an answer we're comfortable with, but that will likely change over time.