I know you!

Wednesday 27 June 2007

Blake

Xin, psssh....most people take one look at that poem, it's length and just quail (?) whimper and say 'is too loooooong' and you want me to make it -longer-? Heh, ah well. Aside from the fact that I have next to no idea as to where next take the story... Even if I could keep it up at that level of poetry anyways, since I've slipped out of my poetic phaze, I'm writing short stories more often now. But anyways, lets get onto the topic of my post.

William Blake, a rather skilled poet and so on, he was also an artist, or so the theory goes, pro-christianity anti-church though. He's the only one of the poets that we have to study that I actually -like-, and as such, I can recall a great many more of his poems than almost any other. Which is a boon in itself I suppose.

As I went from field to field is one of my favourites, I actually used it last year in my lit exam heh. I also like The Fly, a nice, short poem actually. I'd type them up, but I currently do not have them with me, and I'm not confident enough in my memory of them to be able to quote them accurately, or adequately and that would be a far greater injustice than by simply omitting them.

Another poet that I like, Lord Byron, well...one of his poems, Fare thee well is rather good, albeit a rather -long- poem. It's about this father bidding farewell to his wife/lover, lamenting the separation.

But tis done, all words are idle
words from me are vainer still,
and the undying thoughts which bridle
force their way without the will.

Fare thee well-- thus disunited
torn from every nearer tie,
alone in heart, and soul, and blighted;
more than this I scarce can die.

Last two stanza's, rather nice I think. It's got something like 23 verses, so ...yeah. And that's the bell to start yet another day, unfortunately. Until then, fare thee well.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Blake will give you a few things to think about. He's the most incredible poet (perhaps second only to Poe), but he was an even more intriguing man. Some of his ideologies are worth contemplating- read the Proverbs of Hell (in the Marriage books) when you get the chance.

And I'm not so sure about the pro-Christian part. Blake agreed with some Christian values but ultimately rejected a lot of the ideas- you'll learn about them as you go through the poems. Just keep in mind that for Blake, our imagination was the medium for God- that which made us both human and divine. =)